POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!) : Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!)
From: Pan
Date: 7 Oct 1998 16:00:07
Message: <361bba37.0@news.povray.org>
povray.org admin team wrote in message
<361b94ca.398362094@news.povray.org>...
>Axe <axe### [at] nettaxicom> wrote:

>>> yes, but the password would have to be public, so they'd get in anyhow.
>>
>>    What if you were to do some kind of registration with individual
>>uid/pass?
>
>But that's even more work. It's just not on.

I asked a knowledgeable person about this and got this reply ...
(comments follow)

<quote>
I presume that he is running it open for the povray users...  If so, no he
can't stop it.  He can add authentication to it though, thats trivial, and
would fix the problem.  Of course, then he has to manage a password list
and whatnot....

I would suggest that he try a web based program like one of the ones we
have played with around here, and do the support that way.  Easy to do, and
easy to setup, and people like using web browsers
</quote>

As already mentioned the authentification imposes overhead that is not
acceptable, but if the password keeping functions were automated or if
volunteers offered to help admin the pass file???

Seems like the web based groups (which are already done) is going to
be the only answer. I hope that if the news server per se is shut down
that the web functions will still be availble?

Unless - we can get specific info on who is messing around and then
apply appropriate pressure ... if you do get reliable id data then please
let
me know - there are people who could apply that pressure - if we know
exactly who is doing this.