POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image maps : Re: Image maps Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:36:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image maps
From: John VanSickle
Date: 6 Oct 1998 23:46:09
Message: <361ADDED.D7C147BB@erols.kosher.com>
Tommy Grav wrote:

> I modelling a spaceship with povray and want to add an imagemap
> to the tail. I use

  <snip>

> When rendering the imagemaps shows up on both sides of the tail, on one
> side it is the mirrorimage. I understand that this is because the
> imagemap is considered to be long rods in the z-direction with different
> colors. But is there any way to avoid it showing through the tail, in
> other words just show up on one side?

What I do is make a decal object.  I use a primitive of the same shape
as the object to receive the image.  I make the image background totally
transparent (transmit 0,1 usually does the trick), clip the decal to
the boundaries of the image, apply the no_shadow flag, and place it
so that it is a small fraction above the surface of the object.  The
result is like those decals you get for model airplanes.

Regards,
John
--
"He has the power to rear-project major cities!" -- Mike Nelson