POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Glass Cylinder in POVRAY ... : Re: Glass Cylinder in POVRAY ... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass Cylinder in POVRAY ...
From: Ken
Date: 6 Oct 1998 18:33:28
Message: <361A8C4E.6EF4D6AD@pacbell.net>
Gerald H. Ristow wrote:

> Hello,
>         I am doing numerical simulations on granular materials in rotating
> drums. The particles are approximated by spheres and I investigate
> especially the segregation (un-mixing) dynamics when particles of
> differnt sizes are used.
>         In order to present and visualize my scientific research, I use POVRAY
> to create PPM-images which are converted to MPG- and AVI-videos using
> mpeg_encode or mkavi, respectivly. In experiments, a plexiglas cylinder
> is used to allow for visual inspection and I would like to use the same
> in the POVRAY scene file. Unfortunately, the picture does not come out
> as expected. The "Glass" and "Glass3" textures for the cylinder are far
> too dark and "Glass2" seems to be better. Nevertheless, in all three
> cases, far too many reflections are visible which lead to a
> unpresentable and ununderstandable image.
>         I included my scene-file as attachement and would like to know if
> somebody can point out to me what I did wrong.
>         Regards,
> Gerald
> --
>  -----------------------------------------------
>   Dr. Gerald H. Ristow
>   Division of Engineering
>   Colorado School of Mines
>   Golden, CO 80401-1887, U.S.A.
>  -----------------------------------------------

Gerald,

    Substitute the following lines in your scene. You will
find that objects that have a high refraction value when used
in a scene with two contrasting colors like you have here (black background/white
floor}
that glass like objects will look dark
as you noted. It really is a true representation of what you
would see but not always desirable. We can tone this down a bit
by lowering the ior refraction value down to a point were it just
turns on refraction but does not refract the background colors
overly much.

Ken Tyler

**************
// add max_trace_level 15 to your global settings line

plane { <0,.5, 0>, -9.00
pigment { color rgb <0.9, 0.9, 1.0>}
finish{ambient .4 diffuse .2}}

#declare KT_Glass6 =
texture { pigment {rgbf<.99,1,1,1,>}
finish { ambient 0.1 diffuse 0 specular 1 roughness 0.0003
phong 1 phong_size 600 reflection 0.1  brilliance 2}}

difference {
cylinder { <0, 0,  5.00>, <0, 0, -5.00>,  3.7
texture{KT_Glass6}interior{ior 1.13}}

cylinder { <0, 0,  5.01>, <0, 0, -5.01>,  3.5
texture { KT_Glass6 }interior{ior 1.13}}}

// if you are using pov 3.0x remove interior
// and put ior 1.13 in finish statement of
// KT_Glass6 above

box{<-50,0,50>,<50,50,48>
pigment{rgb 1}
finish{ambient 1}}
// added behind camera to creat white light source
// and something to reflect on the sphere surfaces.