POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : difference problem w/3.1 : Re: difference problem w/3.1 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: difference problem w/3.1
From: Ken
Date: 5 Oct 1998 12:32:45
Message: <3618E63E.B8175754@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Note that the coincident surfaces problem (this is a so used term it should
> be abbreviated CSP :) ) can also occur with objects not in the same CSG.
>   Also note that a very special case of CSP occurs when a light source is
> exactly on a surface: Povray can't calculate accurately if the light source
> is inside or outside the surface, so black spots will appear in every
> place which is illuminated by this light.
>
> --
>                                                            - Warp. -

  It can also appear if you have two flat surfaces abutting each other
but otherwise having nothing in common. I have seen it recently when
another pov user asked why one of the example scene files included
with pov, had black artifacts. It was a box resting on a plane and the
coincident surface occurred between them.

Ken