POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : difference problem w/3.1 : Re: difference problem w/3.1 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: difference problem w/3.1
From: Lewis Sellers
Date: 4 Oct 1998 17:48:09
Message: <3617DF16.131D35E4@usit.net>
Ken wrote:
>   Reminds me of a Monty Python skit --
> Yes it is !
> No it isn,t !
> Yeeess it is !!
> Isn't !
> Is too ! ....
>
> We all agree it is a nuisance. And my understanding of the
> ambiguity is that it occurs at a level where the decimal
> places are out somewhere around 5, 6, or more places.
>     Fine ! Why not put a trap directive in the program
> (for csg only of course) that automatically re-scales the
> object so this doesn't occur.

Well, I think it logical to assume that if you have a large block of
wood (A), and cut out a smaller block of it (B), that the interior of
what remains of A would not suddenly go poof, and leave you with the
skin of A only. At least, I've never seen this happen to a wood carver.
:)

You mathematically endowed people say it's a limitation of the algebra
being using. Ok. I'll take your word for it. If so, it's not a "bug"
anymore than division by 0 is. But div by 0 can be trapped and special
cased so....

Anyway, I'm going to irritate someone working on povray if I keep
talking so I'm dropping out of this conversation. ;->

>     If there is some one out there complains that they actually
> use a scaling of .0001 or less in his/her scenes then I think
> they need to get a life. The human eye cannot resolve these kinds
> of distances anyway and the camera would have to be almost
> touching the object to see the difference anyway.

Well, it does seem to break up the texture I was using noticiably when
I'm nearby. But.... that may just be a special case.

--
Lewis A. Sellers: writer and contract Multimedia Website Developer
mailto:lse### [at] usitnet (The Fourth Millennium Foundation)

You can bug the living bejesus out of me live on ICQ @ 491461
(If I don't get back to you within a month, I'm out of prozac in some
dark corner somewhere screaming things quite unintelligable but -- most
curiously -- thick with a sumerian accent.)

"The comedy is over" -i pagliacci