POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Yet another idea on specular reflection : Re: Yet another idea on specular reflection Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:37:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another idea on specular reflection
From: Peter Popov
Date: 4 Oct 1998 01:11:09
Message: <3616f55d.0@news.povray.org>
I am sorry if someone can't read my reply. I am reposting it. I just
re-installed Windows and Outlook, but I think I finally got it in the corner
and set it to plain non-encoded western text once and for all.

Thomas Willhalm wrote in message ...
>In my opinion, your suggestion goes in a good direction. It can even
>be simplified and improved at the same time: Instead of considering
>a single object it is almost as easy to determine for each sample ray
>the first object that is hit. So, my idea is as follows:

Well, I didn't make myself very clear, it seems. I supposed that one object
only - O - was lit by the spotlight to make things easier to explain and not
fiddle with O1, O2 etc. There were many variables anyway.

[...]

>Another method, which I already used, is to incorporate human knowledge
>about the scene. More precisely, in a scene where a disco ball is lit
>by a spot light, it is known where to place the virtual lights (if we
>assume one light per mirror). Using the capabilities of the POV-Ray
>language is it possible the automatically calculate the position of
>these light sources, their respective directions, and the test whether
>they are in the shadow of the disco ball. I know this, because I've done
>it. The result is at
>http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/tracegallery/
>I have even created an animation of my disco ball.

If your disco ball is the one posted in binaries.images, it is what made my
cpu think a little on the subject.

>I'm sorry about my bad English, but my native language is German.
>
>Thomas
>
>--
>http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm

Peter