POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : difference normal bug? : Re: difference normal bug? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 02:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: difference normal bug?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 3 Oct 1998 20:28:50
Message: <3616B38A.6A2E6A18@ltu.edu>
> When doing some DIFFERENCEs where the, um, surfaces of the objects are
> in the same plane it cuts a hole INTO the first object. not sure if it's
> supposed to do this, or if it's a bug of somekind.

I couldn't see the problem from your code (I didn't really know what I was
looking for).  First, a difference is intended to cut a hole in the first
object, subtracting one object from another.  Secondly, whenever two surfaces
coincide, it will always cause a problem, since the render will have to decide
which intersection to use.  As a general rule, you should never have two
surfaces directly coincide (sometimes it's OK, but not usually).

-Nathan