POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : CSG planes ++render time? : Re: CSG planes ++render time? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG planes ++render time?
From: Ken
Date: 2 Oct 1998 19:55:13
Message: <3615597A.ED80DC54@pacbell.net>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

>  I don't have my .POV infront of me, but I suspect that I did not
> commit the kind of error that Ken is talking about.
>
> I had one plane with a Y normal. I wanted to change in into an
> infinitely long "runway."  I CSG'ed it with two planes with normals
> parallel to the X line.    Now I know I had to try several iterations
> of +x, -x, and / or +/- distance along normal before I got the strip
> to look that way I wanted it to look.
>
> Is there a "wrong" way to get the right output?  If I had made an
> error (and I did several times), I would imagine I'd get something
> totally wrong looking, as opposed to an extra-slow-rendering version
> of exactly what I wanted.   Again, the render time was 2X for a CSG'ed
> plane (runway) than for a simple plane.

Compare the following with the script you are using.

camera{location z*-3 look_at 0}
light_source{<0,0,-30>rgb 1}

intersection{
plane{y,-5}
plane{x, 5}
plane{x,-5 inverse}
pigment{rgb 1}}

vs.

box{-1,1 scale<5,2,10000> pigment{rgb 1}translate y*-5}

vs

your CSG

I had no time difference between these two objects when rendered
seperately
and they appeared identical in the scene.
They each took exactly 6 sec. to render at 320x240 AA off.

Ken