POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : CSG planes ++render time? : Re: CSG planes ++render time? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG planes ++render time?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 2 Oct 1998 19:29:09
Message: <36155468.D0E9E752@aol.com>
I don't have my .POV infront of me, but I suspect that I did not commit the
kind of error that Ken is talking about.

I had one plane with a Y normal. I wanted to change in into an infinitely long
"runway."  I CSG'ed it with two planes with normals parallel to the X line.
Now I know I had to try several iterations of +x, -x, and / or +/- distance
along normal before I got the strip to look that way I wanted it to look.

Is there a "wrong" way to get the right output?  If I had made an error (and I
did several times), I would imagine I'd get something totally wrong looking,
as opposed to an extra-slow-rendering version of exactly what I wanted.
Again, the render time was 2X for a CSG'ed plane (runway) than for a simple
plane.

Ken wrote:

>  Be careful about which way the surface normal is
> pointing. It took me long time to get the hang of
> it and I still find myself taking a look at the
> different shapes inc files on occasion for ideas
> and to figure out why something isn't working.
>   Differences don't necessarily have to take a long
> time to render.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (2 KB)