POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : CSG planes ++render time? : Re: CSG planes ++render time? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:30:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG planes ++render time?
From: Ken
Date: 2 Oct 1998 16:01:25
Message: <361522B0.61B6411B@pacbell.net>
The box object, being one of the primary primitives
in POV, has been heavily optimized for rendering speed.
Since the box object can be scaled to any dimension it
certainly has it's advantages.
    I have experienced some weird situations creating an
object using CSG's that experienced long render times.
In reality if a CSG is done correctly it should render
almost as fast as a box.
    Look at shapes.old, shapes.inc, and shapes2.inc
for examples of using planes to createvarious shapes.
It could be you have one of your surface normals
pointing the wrong way and that would increase render
time.
    You might also try a difference instead of an
intersection.

Ken Tyler