POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image maps : Re: Image maps Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:32:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image maps
From: Ken
Date: 30 Sep 1998 05:28:01
Message: <3611EB71.A466DE92@pacbell.net>
Tommy Grav wrote:

> I modelling a spaceship with povray and want to add an imagemap
> to the tail. I use
> <snip>
>
> When rendering the imagemaps shows up on both sides of the tail, on one side it
> is the mirrorimage. I understand that this is because the imagemap is considered
> to be long rods in the z-direction with different colors. But is it any way to
> avoid it showing through the tail, in other words just show up on one side?
> --
> Tommy Grav

    I have had this problem before and others have asked
the same question. It wasn't until I read your post just
now that I have finaly thought of a way of avoiding this.
    You have your tail section declared. Now use a
second copy of the tail section and uniformly scale it
smaller than the original.
    Now take the second tail section and use it to CSG
the inside of the first to create a cavity inside. If the object
is solid the image map will indeed appear on the other side.
If it is hollow on the other hand it will apply properly on
just one side.
    If you try it and it works let me know. I would
like to hear about it.

Ken Tyler