POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : povwin does strange things to other applications : Re: povwin does strange things to other applications Server Time
28 Jun 2024 01:58:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povwin does strange things to other applications
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 27 Sep 1998 10:04:32
Message: <360e37e0.0@news.povray.org>
Hello povteam

I seem to be getting on your nerves and I'd like to apologise: I am sorry.

povray.org admin team wrote in message
<360ce4e1.288616258@news.povray.org>...
>Not 'steals' ; it is explicitly given the focus (by Windows itself). If you
don't like it then
>turn that behaviour off (i.e. read the docs). As this particular problem is
>explicitly dealt with in the docs (even using the exact example of focus
per
>frame you have used above) it is quite clear that you have not done so
before
>posting your 'bug report'.

I always RTFM (heck, I even print it) and I check before posting... and you
are right: it is in there. Sorry... I know this must be pretty annoying for
you... The whole pov doc is quite big, I can't remenber everything. By the
way, why hasn't the win-gui help a find option? This could eliminate some of
my kind of posts.

>>+ povwin closes (not minimises or hides, but closes) other windows or
>>applications
>frankly, I seriously doubt this. I've never heard of it. It's not even
>(normally) possible for this to happen under Windows 95/98 or NT. A thread
>cannot close a window belonging to another thread or process. That is a
>Windows-enforced rule.
>I suggest you take a closer look at what's happening and find another cause
for
>it. If you're dead sure that it's happening then it's not a POVWIN
problem -
>you've got a flakey system.

Yes, it is pretty weird. Yes, I am sure it happens. It happens only with
pov, when finishing/begining a render (I don't know which since I only
observed that when rendering animations or queued files). Maybe I have a
flakey system (that's a nice word), but I rebuild it from scratch and it
still happens. I don't believe I have anything fancy running in the
background, and I do not have many things installed except pov, ms office
and acdsee. I can't find any other cause then pov or pov interaction, but I
am no system engineer. It is not very serious; I usually work only with pov
and nothing else... I hope I am the only one suffering from this.

>>+ povwin prevents screensaver to start or interrupts screensaver
(apparently
>>randomly).
>If it's random, how can you know that POVWIN causes it ?
Because it happens only when pov is running... I can't prove it, but I
believe it is povwin - or an interaction with povwin. I wrote randomly
because, while it happens only when rendering, it does not always happens,
and the waking-up does not seem to be tied with a precise part or the
rendering (parsing/new render window/tracing/save line/eof/close/...). Maybe
it is tied with the previous problem?
With the complication of today's os, who knows?

On the whole, pov is fantastic. I use it everyday, and I enjoy it - very
much. I only wanted to help you make it even better. I never wanted to hurt
you, and I am really sorry if I did.

Povingly,

Philippe