POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Strange error message : Re: Strange error message Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange error message
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 27 Sep 1998 03:42:01
Message: <360DDE3E.BFB7C079@dhol.com>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen the error message
> Illegal grid value in dda_traversal(). ?

Do a dejanews search in povray.general and cgrr for "dda_traversal".  Go
back at least a couple of years.  This has been hashed over periodically
in both places.  Basically, you have a ray going "between the cracks" of
the height field due to an arithmetic accuracy problem.  Sometimes it
does no harm.  Sometime you get black dot or line artifacts.  I know of
no successful patch so far.  I also know no completely reliable
workaround.  The best bet is to slightly joggle the camera position
and/or angle.  This, BTW, would be a good candidate for the VFAQ.

Jerry Anning
cle### [at] dholcom