POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Overlap of "filter" and "transmit" on layered textures : Re: Overlap of "filter" and "transmit" on layered textures Server Time
17 May 2024 05:11:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlap of "filter" and "transmit" on layered textures
From: Soichi Fukasawa
Date: 21 Sep 1998 15:16:11
Message: <360697eb.0@news.povray.org>
Nathan Kopp wrote in message <360556E7.D9495359@ltu.edu>...
>Therefore, as Jerry pointed out, you'll want to keep the other filter
values
>from being zero.  In your example, the resulting texture has the pigment:
>
><1,1,1,1,1> * <1,1,1,0,1> * <1,1,1,1,0> = <1,1,1,0,0>
>  start         layer a       layer b        result

Thank you, Mr. Kopp.  I can learned about POV.  But I don't think that it is
not suitable your expression that a component of the final pigment is all
product of every component of each layered texture, because upper layered
texutre is more prior than lower layered texture in particular about
distransparent color,  and the result pigment <1,1,1,0,0> in your example is
not black color but distransparent white color.  Then I was getting an idea
from your concept.  I think that POV probably deal with 2 systems, on filter
and on transmit, independently.  In other words there are 2 routes
separately, like transverse wave and longitudinal wave in respect of
polarized light.  So  because overlaying a texture specified FT<0,1> with a
texture specified FT<1,0> is just corresponding to overlaying real light
filters  -not filters in POV-  polarized in parpendicular direction each
other, consequently the object put it on looks like black. In short, what I
say is that  light whichi went through "filter" filter go through just only
"filter" filter and never go through "transmit" filter, and that is also
right changing "filter" with "transmit".
In detail you may see following figures.

For simplicity only one component Red in respect of  color is discribed.

       start  RFT<r,f,t>      result
F-route R<1> --> <fr> |
                      |+ -> <fr + t>
T-toute R<1> --> <t> |

One of the evidence that final color is addition of colors through F-route
and through T-rute is that pigment{ color rgbft <1,1,1,1,1> } gives too much
brightness.

       start  RFT<r1,f1,0>  RFT<r2,f2,0>      result
F-route R<1> --> <f1r1> --> <f1f2r1r2> |
                                       |+ -> <f1f2r1r2>
T-toute R<1> --> <0>    --> <0>        |

       start  RFT<r1,f1,0>  RFT<r2,0,t2> result
F-route R<1> --  <f1r1> --> <0> |
T-toute R<1> --> <0>    --> <0> |

I'm very happy to be taught POV by all of you.

Soichi Fukasawa
mailto : soi### [at] tkyemghpphyssu-tokyoacjp