POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.1 - media : Re: POV 3.1 - media Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:31:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.1 - media
From: H A  van der Meiden
Date: 20 Sep 1998 12:40:28
Message: <3605A0B4.7244@twi.tudelft.nl>
Dan Connelly wrote:

> H.A. van der Meiden wrote:
> >
> > Whilst expirimenting with the media feature, I've noticed something odd.
> >
> > A media with absorption 1.0 blocks all passing light, given that the way
> > of the light through the object is 1 unit long.
>
> Actually, this isn't true.  There is an exponential fall-off of light
> as it passes through the object : in a given distance, a given fraction
> of the light is absorbed.  But over any finite distance, a finite
> fraction of the light survives, subject to ADC bailout and color
> quantization.

You're right !
After some trial it seems that the absorption parameter is an
exponentional falloff rate.
If r=1 then, at 1 unit distance, exp(-1)=37% of the light remains.
If r=2 then exp(-2)=14% of the light remains.
Basically an absorbtion rate '-log(fraction)/distance' determines that
'fraction' of the light remains after 'distance' units.
Supposedly the emission parameter works in a similar way, determining
some exponentional increase of light.

Unfortunatly high values for both absorption and emission (>2.0) result
in noisy images, although high sample rates seem reduce this effect.
Does anyone know why ?
(by the way : I'm using the pov31b6 msdos version)