POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Emacs as a POVRay editor : Re: Emacs as a POVRay editor Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs as a POVRay editor
From: Jamie Guinan
Date: 16 Sep 1998 16:39:03
Message: <36001339.7ED7E4E1@polaroid.com>
Rozzin wrote:

> Chris Maryan wrote:

>     I've found that the NT port of emacs doesn't function quite as well as the
> Unix version, largely due to NT problems (no .emacs file in the user's
> home-directory, because NT won't let you create a '.emacs' file except from the
> command-line, and because emacs doesn't recognise NT's user-home setup; can't
> telnet through NTemacs, because the 'telnet' included with NT wants its own
> window; and other things).

I have to use Win95 at work for certain development tools, but I manage
pretty
well with the NT port of emacs (which runs fine under Win95) and TCSH
for
a shell.

The .emacs file exists but is named "_emacs" and should be placed under
your
$HOME directory or "C:/" if you don't have $HOME defined.

>     GNU emacs is, like all GNU stuff, truly free--it is /liberated/, as they
> say; it's not just 'free of charge', but you can get the source, hack on it,
> redistribute it.... You just aren't allowed to make it /not free/.

Indeed.  "Freed" software is making quite an impact in the Real World
lately, too.

Cheers,
-Jamie
gui### [at] polaroidcom