POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray on PlayStation 3? : Re: POV-Ray on PlayStation 3? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray on PlayStation 3?
From: Kyle
Date: 1 Aug 2005 23:34:51
Message: <35pte1tlbnj92le60rku6h2gv38gff08g0@4ax.com>
On Mon,  1 Aug 2005 22:03:09 EDT, "Ghost_Dog"
<gho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>Linux on PS3? if that takes off, then Microsoft will have problems...
>On the plus side, that also suggests the PS3 would need some kind of hard
>drive...

Here's a brief article on it...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/09/news_6127219.html

>I can't wait to get a ps3 if P-Ray is arriving - but I don't know if it will
>go down well. I recall two other attempts to put programming-like software
>on a games console net yaroze (PS1) and yabasic (PS2).
>Both died out before the console got replaced... :(
>on the plus side, this would be a silent admission that games consoles are
>crap compared to PCs. the fact that Sony is trying to blur the dividing
>line is fun :D

I would think that Linux on the PS3 should fare a little better.
Linux is already widely distributed, well know and runs solid on many
hardware platforms.  If the PS3 is the powerhouse that it is designed
to be, then it would seem that certain applications (POV-Ray?) would
perform very well on this machine.  Maybe so well that it becomes a
viable workstation for users of these applications.

Here's an interesting quote:

"Though sold as a game console, what will in fact enter the home is a
Cell-based computer." - Ken Kutaragi (Father of the PlayStation -
Sony)

The PS3 is in a stage now where it is hard to realize how much you
hear is reality and how much is hype.  As with the introduction of any
new game console, there is *much* hype.  However, the capabilities of
this system seem very promising, to the point where it may blur the
line between the game console and PC quite a bit.  I'm anxious to see
what develops...

Kyle