POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How recursive are #macros ? : Re: How recursive are #macros ? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How recursive are #macros ?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 16 Sep 1998 14:05:11
Message: <35ffefc7.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <35FFB2CD.BF825C02@pacbell.net>...
>I seem to recall the docs stating you may nest any level of
>macros you so desire, the same as you may with while loops.
>Of course you can check the docs on this and try to disprove
>what I've said here : )
>
>Ken

Docs are one thing and reality is always slightly differerent. It seems to
me #macros have the same problem as max_trace_level which causes crashes at
higher values, however the latter is documented. "The number of known bugs
is limited but not so with unknown ones which are, by definition, infinitely
many" (one of Murphy's laws regarding computers) What I am saying is that I
have read the docs and therefore happily went about doing an animated M set
like the one I posted in binaries.animation, but made of spheres or other
objects. The problem is, as I said, that higher levels of recursive calling
of a #macro calling causes a GPF. There's probably no solution to this
problem, but I found a workaround: I downloaded fractal.inc I found on
Twyst's site and it uses no #macro, so I guess I'll just have to take take a
serious look at the code and do something similar.

Thanks to all for your input.

Peter

P.S. My M-set problem is solved but the original question remains open. How
recursive are #macros ?