POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How recursive are #macros ? : Re: How recursive are #macros ? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How recursive are #macros ?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 15 Sep 1998 17:02:18
Message: <35fec7ca.0@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:35:32 +0300, Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
>As the subject indicates, I am curious just how many levels of recursion can
>one do with a 3.1 #macro. I want to play around with the Mandelbrot / Julia
>set, but POV crashes at higher iteration settings (50+). Has anyone explored
>the depth of the problem and/or have a solution / workaround? Thanks in
>advance,

If macros are implemented in 3.1 in about the same way they are in the
isosurface patch, then the recursion limit on macros is the same as the
recursion limit on include files, so that (# of includes + # of macros)
can't be greater than 10.  Of course, there are significant differences
between the syntax of the two methods, so it's possible that the 3.1
implementation is more flexible.  It's also possible that they increased
the limit on the number of include files, since changing it is just a
matter of changing a single number in tokenize.h and recompiling.