POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scientific use of povray : Re: Scientific use of povray Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:32:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific use of povray
From: Mathias Bachmann
Date: 14 Sep 1998 13:07:50
Message: <35fd3f56.0@news.povray.org>
>Congrats on your first place!  I agree .mpg files are smaller (in my
>case about 1.5 mbytes vs. 4.5 mbytes) but the colors were dithered
>(poorly so, if I may add) and the overall effect was disappointing.
>FLI/FLC (with the free Autodesk viewer, no less!) preserves the color
>scheme adequately w/o dithering - and looks good even in full screen
>640X480 format.

hm...
Sounds as if you are viewing the mpegs on an old 256 color display?
The dithering is due to your mpeg-display-software/hardware, not due to the
mpeg-file itself.
Mpegs are ALWAYS true-color. if your display/software doesnt find true-color
capabilities, it will dither down the video to 256 color in real-time. This
will result in poor quality. FLICS are ALWAYS only 256 colors. Colors are
dithered down at creation time (compile time?). When there is enough time,
you can get very pretty results with 256 color images. So on poor hardware
(or poor mpeg-software) a FLIC may look better, but on not too old hardware
you get really good video-quality with mpeg, even with small file-sizes (I
have a two-years old pentium 133, which gives me really good mpeg-videos
with the ms-active-movie player, running full screen, nice and smooth
interpolated realtime to 1024-screen size, no extra-hardware, 16-bit
video-resolution, its near to video-recorder-quality).
When i use a software as Graphics-Workshop, then this software will dither
down to 256 colors- thats really worse than 256-color flics with the same
software.

greetings,
Mathias