POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stupid question about normal tiles : Re: Stupid question about normal tiles Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid question about normal tiles
From: F VERBAAS
Date: 12 Sep 1998 06:34:29
Message: <35fa4025.0@news.povray.org>
Ken heeft geschreven in bericht <35F70500.9F239314@pacbell.net>...

>  It is very easy ! Take a look at the example pov scene
>called whiltile.pov that comes with POV-Ray

Ok, I should have been more precise. I was looking for something in the form
of a pattern, similar to brick, but not staggered.
I hoped someone would know a sneeky oblique section trough the brick
pattern, or a special combination of the parametes for the quilted pattern.
I experimented with those, but found no answer.

The 'whilitile' example you mention uses a separate object for each tile.
Great for close-ups and tiles in fancy patterns,  but my current project
features a 10*8 metres floor in and tiles of 0.125 m * 0.125 m ( 64/m2),
that gives 10*8*64 = 5120 objects, plus 1 for the mortar. Sorry, but in this
case I need my sparse RAM for other purposes.

If not, I will rest with a layered texture with two crossing top layers
giving the mortar lines on a transparant 'sheet', and the tile pigment as
the background. This gives only a moderate overhead.

Frans
p.s.
While typing this, another solution springs to my mind: CSG the floor box
with a grid of cylinders in mortar texture. This would be an intermediate
solution, giving both shape and texture at the sacrifice of speed and
memory.