POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scientific use of povray : Re: Scientific use of povray Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific use of povray
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 11 Sep 1998 03:56:28
Message: <35f8c99c.0@news.povray.org>
Abdulaziz Ghuloum wrote in message <35f81203.0@news.povray.org>...
>How would one be able to use such a program if one of these URLs contained
>white-space?
>    Anyways, HTTP Servers should conform to the standards, not the other
way
>around.  I, personally, would neven bother installing a web server that is
>not HTTP compliant.

Actually, URL *can* contain whitespace: The official MIME format called
"x-www-form-urlencoded" allows for *all* characters, which are encoded like
this:
The alphanumerics stay as they are, space is converted to "+" and everything
else is converted to "%xx", where "xx" is the ascii-value of the character
in two-digit hex-code.
So an URL with a space would simply look like this for example:
http://www.example.com/url+with+whitespace.html
Even the http://www.example.com/url%20with%20whitespace.html version should
work, since I would not expect an URL decoder to not allow "%20" simply
because it *should* be coded with "+" instead.

So the problem could actually not be the server, but the browser, who
doesn't convert the URL to the MIME format...

Bye,
Johannes.