POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scientific use of povray : Re: Scientific use of povray Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific use of povray
From: Abdulaziz Ghuloum
Date: 10 Sep 1998 14:53:07
Message: <35f81203.0@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Mika <war### [at] assaricctutfi> wrote in message
35f7f812.0@news.povray.org...
>Jim Kress <jim### [at] dccmailcom> wrote:
>: I didn't realize that over the Internet URL standards were not
>: kept up to date with evolving operating systems.
>
>  UNIX has had long filenames (with spaces, lower/uppercase letters, etc)
>decades before NT was born.
>  NT maybe evolving, but it's decades late in almost everything.

If I may add:  These standards were made to avoid compatibility problems
(such as the one we're talking about) and to promote platform-independence.
    Not all operating systems support white-spaces in their filesystems.
Plus, white-space is usually used as a delimiter.  For example: say you have
a program that accepts multiple URLs from the command prompt:
        getpages http://www.yahoo.com/ http://www.povray.org/
http://www.irtc.org/
How would one be able to use such a program if one of these URLs contained a
white-space?
    Anyways, HTTP Servers should conform to the standards, not the other way
around.  I, personally, would neven bother installing a web server that is
not HTTP compliant.

    Aziz,,,