POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : We need power! : Re: We need power! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:31:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: We need power!
From: Chris Jeppesen
Date: 3 Sep 1998 01:07:46
Message: <35ee1612.0@news.povray.org>
Raymond Tant wrote in message <358### [at] nettennet>...
>Has anyone thought about using Distributed.nets approach to distributing
>the "movie" among thousands of computers already connected to the net?

Yes, fellow bovine, I havbe thought of it. The problem is bandwidth.
A computer running bovine for one hour, clears one block, writes one bit,
is this the block or not. Well, maybe a little more, but not much.

A computer rendering runs for one hour, generates one frame, and writes
several megabytes. It would take almost as long to transmit that frame as
it did to render it. Now I have unlimited hours at my ISP, but a lot of
people don't.

Of course, compression will help, but it still a fundamentally different
problem. J Random User is a lot less likely to run a rendering client
that will need to be online all the time. We need dedicated people to run
this project.

For small ethernets, I am working on a windows rendering distributor,
Amalthea. I had it released for a while, but it wasn't ready, so I withdrew
it. I have a farm of about 3 computers, and it works about 1/3 of the time
for me. It still needs some fiddling.