POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help! Can anyone figure this math? : Re: Help! Can anyone figure this math? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help! Can anyone figure this math?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Sep 1998 16:03:33
Message: <35ec4505.0@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 20:22:33 +0200, Philippe Debar
        <phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>Hi
>
>Peter Popov wrote in message <35eb7a41.0@news.povray.org>...
>>(...) POV internally
>>represents a box as an intersection of six planes, but it is bounded and
>>uses vista buffers, so it's fast.
>I didn't knew that. Well, I never looked inside pov... yet.

Well, it doesn't represent a box as six planes in the sense that it
represents a difference as an intersection with an inverse.  Boxes actually
have their own code to find intersections, do transformations, etc, and
there really is an object called a "box" in the POV code.  Search high and
low, though, and you won't find the term "difference" used outside the
parser.  Old versions of POV (circa 1.x?) used planes to make boxes, but
nothing recent does.