POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help! Can anyone figure this math? : Re: Help! Can anyone figure this math? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help! Can anyone figure this math?
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 29 Aug 1998 13:38:17
Message: <35e82e79.0@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody!

I seem to have difficulties to explain my problem
clearly. Here's another try:

With ascii geometry, in a plane:

-------------+
              \
Volume  A      \
                \
-----------------+   <--- point A

          Find the scaled cylinder that will
          smoothly join these two surfaces.

--------------+        <--- point B
             /
  Volume B  /
           /
----------+

Why a scaled cylinder? Because I can the use the solution
to smoothly join two cones with a scaled torus.

The problem is to find the center and the two semi-axis
of an ellipse whose axis are parallel to the world axis,
that is tangent with two given half lines on their end
point. That is:

         \
          \      half line a
           \