POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVWin beta 6 problems and questions : Re: POVWin beta 6 problems and questions Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVWin beta 6 problems and questions
From: Peter Popov
Date: 29 Aug 1998 03:40:01
Message: <35e7a241.0@news.povray.org>
Rainer Mager wrote in message <35e50987.0@news.povray.org>...
>Hi all,
>
>    I've found a few problem in beta 6 and before I report them as bugs I'd
>like to see if they are reproducable elsewhere. Also I have some
>questions...
>

>1.  When I have set the display font and then make another change to the
>editor configuration (e.g., change the tab spacing or the key bindings) the
>display font is reset to borte.
>

>2.  Is there any way to switch backwards between files? I know CTRL-TAB
>switches forwards.

alt+left arrow; alt+right arrow

>3.  If I have a POV file #include another file in a subdirectory (A) and
>that file includes another file in that same A subdirectory, I still must
>preceed the second include with the A path. For example:
>

>---FILE1.POV---
>#include "A/FILE2.POV"
>
>---A/FILE2.POV---
>#include "FILE3.POV"
>
>---A/FILE3.POV---
>...junk...
>
>The above does NOT work. File2 is correctly included but can not find
file3.
>If I change file2 to: #include "A/FILE3.POV" then it works. Is this a bug
or
>a feature or what?

Including a file is just this -- copy 'n' paste it instead of the #include
statement. This definition clearly excludes directory changing or automatic
setting of the library_path / +l options. Hope I am making myself clear...

>4. Is there anyway to turn off the ability to position the cursor anywhere,
>even to the right of where characters acutally exist?

Yes. click and then press the end key ;)

>5. Am I correct in saying that macros can not be recursive? Is there any
way
>to do recursion?

In theory, they are fully recursive. In practice, a large degree of
recursion ( 75-80 in my mandelbrot/julia macro) produces an error message...
or sometimes an invalid page fault

>6. Is there any way to prevent the render window from stealing focus (note
>this is not what the "Get Focus on Creation" option does) yet remain on
top.
>The reason I ask is because I often are working on a scene and want to
>render it to see how it changes. When I hit Alt-G to render I then have to
>click back into the editor to continue typing. I know this sounds like a
>very little thing but I'd like it anyway.

What I do is the following: disable the "get focus on creation" feature,
enable "always on top" and put the render window outside the editor window.
I work in 1024x768 and test-render at 512x384 (or 400x300 ) and the space
left is enough (I use Courier 8 pt)

>7. It appears that the toolbars' positions are not saved across sessions.
>Also what is that extra, blank toolbar to the left of the marble image?
>

>I love the new syntax high-lighting and other new features in 3.1. Great
job
>POV Team!

Agreed, they've done a great job!

>--Rainer