POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray v3.1 beta 6 : Re: POV-Ray v3.1 beta 6 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.1 beta 6
From: F VERBAAS
Date: 24 Aug 1998 19:41:19
Message: <35e1ec0f.0@news.povray.org>
povray.org admin team wrote in<35e12f16.110664006@news.povray.org>...
>If someone wants that feature it would be almost trivial to implement as a
GUI extension.

Sorry, I do not understand that part of your answer. English is not my first
language, but according to my dictionary 'trivial' means either 'not
important', 'commonplace', or 'lacking seriousness'. What I meant is that it
would be a useful feature when, for example, fine tuning light strength,
bump values, etc. Admittedly, one could load the original picture in say
photoshop, copy the rendered patch into it, and move the patch around till
it fits, and one could see the effect of the changes made, provided you have
no trouble with POV opening a file being used by photoshop, etc. In my
opinion, the feature would allow the user to speed up the tuning process,
and therefore in that respect it is both important and serious, and
certainly not commonplace.
The feature would nescessarily be provided by the GUI, which has shown the
picture the user is not satisfied with, which has allowed the user to make
the changes, and which has allowed the user to indicate the area on which he
wants a test for his new settings. In view of the above, it is not beyond
the scope of the GUI to allow the user a good comparison.

povray.org admin team also wrote in<35e12f16.110664006@news.povray.org>...

>That would have involved too many changes.
Ok, that's a VERY good reason for not implementing it. I do not know the POV
code, but I take it is complex. I just creep on with a bitmap editor and
renamed files.

Thank you for the work you do!

Frans