POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov? : Re: how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:30:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov?
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 17 Aug 1998 20:24:39
Message: <35d8bbb7.0@news.povray.org>

>um... subject kinda says it all.  i remember way back when, there being
>the whole question of modelling a sparkling diamond.  the proposed
>answers hinted at rendering the scene 3 times.  once with a red light,
>once a green, and once a blue.  then composite them.  of course, each
>render would see the light's wavelength altered such that the images
>would be different.  unfortunately, i don't remember how this could (or
>IF it could) be accomplished

You could try rendering the scene three times, each with a differently
colored
light (rgb <1,0,0> ; <0,1,0> and <0,0,1> would be favorite) and a different
IOR
for the diamond - and the composite the images.

A finer approach would be, with the animation clock variable:
(1) vary the color of lighting according to the light spectrum
     to simulate different wavelengths;
(2) at the same time, vary the ior value, according to the real
     ior(wavelength law);
(3) composite the resulting images (as many as you want)

Don't ask me about how to get a monochromatic wavelenght
in rgb color space, nor the ior(wavelength) formula :-)

I hope this helps you...

(I would be interested to see the results)

Ray-tracingly,

Philippe

phi### [at] hotmailcom