POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speed of POV 3.02 on lots of stuff : Re: Speed of POV 3.02 on lots of stuff Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speed of POV 3.02 on lots of stuff
From: Mark Arrasmith
Date: 15 Jul 1998 11:47:48
Message: <35acc114.0@news.povray.org>
Well this paragraph doesn't make too much sense!

>All that should give the 21164A an edge.  The only plus for the
>21164PC is that it can access the cache on the motherboard
>faster (I think 2 nanoseconds if I remember right).  I need to look
>into the intervals of POV more to really what is going on.
>That and I'm tired of the division by zero's (which is an alpha
>version problem).

Corrected version:

All that should give the 21164A the edge.  The only plus for the 21164PC is
that it can access the motherboard cache at 7.5ns (versus the 21164A which
is at 9ns).  I need to look into the internals of POV to understand what is
going on.  And to try and figure out why POV-Ray on the Alpha gives division
by zero and dies during certain renders.

mark