POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 3.1 beta error : Re: Pov 3.1 beta error Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.1 beta error
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 8 Jul 1998 23:22:46
Message: <35a5252c.78596246@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 08 Jul 1998 13:30:27 -0700, "K. Tyler" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet>
wrote:

>  Not really.
>  The scene is formatted roughly as follows:
>
>  #declare Count = 0
>  #while (Count < 360)
>  box{<-1,-1,-1>,<1,1,1>scale 2  translate x*Count rotate x+y*Count pigment{bla
>bla color_map{
>  [0    rgbf*.5][1 Red*.75]}}}

if rgbf*.5 isn't a syntax error, it should be.  In any case, you're
making the object semitransparent, and that means POV-Ray will shoot a
"refracted" or "transmitted" ray (it uses the terms interchangeably)
and you will run into the problem I mentioned.

>  #declare Count = Count*.1

How do you start at zero and get anything but zero if you keep
multiplying by .1?

>  #end

>Because of the filter component I even tried
>upping the max_trace_level to 100 no luck.

Nope, the limit on the size of the stack is hard-coded.  If you wanted
to make it bigger, you'd need to change it in the source and
recompile.

>Perhaps I should explicitly declare a refraction and ior at 0 ?

ior==0 is meaningless.  1 is the default for ior, but ior and
refraction don't matter - any transparent or semitransparent object is
a "refracting object."