POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 3.1 beta error : Re: Pov 3.1 beta error Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.1 beta error
From: Ron Parker
Date: 8 Jul 1998 17:27:53
Message: <35a3d649.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 08 Jul 1998 11:53:51 -0700, K. Tyler <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>I recieved the folloing fatal error message after a 50%
>render
>
>> ERROR too many nested refracting objects in scene.

>For the record the word refraction appears no where in the scene.
>By changing the while declare statements to reduce the overall
>object count the error goes away But I need the scene as is or the
>smoothness of my intended object dissapears.

>Any clue people.

for the record, the word refraction is now entirely optional.  The presence
of an ior that is not 1 turns on refraction for that object.

The problem is that POV must keep a "stack" of objects and their iors in
order to know what ior it is returning to when it exits an object.  This
stack has a finite size (in POV 3.02, it was 100 objects) and you're
overrunning it.  If you union a bunch of glass spheres, for example, you
may be "inside" over a hundred objects, in which case you'll have this
problem.

I haven't seen the scene, so my advice may be useless, but is this a case
where you could use merge instead of union?