POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov-help : Re: Pov-help Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-help
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 6 Jul 1998 08:34:59
Message: <35a0b663.0@news.povray.org>
povray.org admin team <new### [at] DESPAMpovrayorg> wrote:
: It comes down to time. Members of the POV-Team have very limited time available
: to them and we had to find a better way to do docs. If we had to spend more
: time fiddling around with documentation converters we'd have less time to put
: features into POV-Ray.

  Yes, I understand that.
  I'm sorry about the complaining. I know it's not fair to demand something
like this since you all are making a great job with povray itself.
  But the lack of the pov-help program is a big deprivation to me. The
program has two very useful features: it's a hypertext-like viewer, which
makes it very easy to find help about something, and definitely the best
feature (at least to me as a DOS user) is the popup-property by pressing
a hotkey combination (like alt-esc in my case) during editing. It's an
extremely useful feature that you just put the cursor over the keyword
you want to see help about in your text editor and press alt-esc and then
the help pops up.
  I am a DOS user because I just can't afford a machine which can run win95
or whatever. That's the reason why I make all the povray editing in DOS.
With pov-help and qedit it's very handy. It's a lot like the borland c and
pascal dos-editors (where you can press ctrl-F1 to pop up help about a
keyword) which I like a lot.
  Now all the help is just one text file. It's really heavy to read and
qedit is unable to load it entirely (it still has the damned 640k limitation).
Also searching help about a specific keyword is a lot more difficult.
  A partial solution should be to download the windows help file and read it
with windows 3.1, but that doesn't solve the problem about the lack of a
handy online help which you can just pop up when the cursor is over the word
you want to see help. And besides, "povraying" under win3 is just a pain.

--
                                                              - Warp. -