POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dealing with text : Re: dealing with text Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dealing with text
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 14 Sep 1998 21:04:30
Message: <35FDAF0B.B3D6955E@flash.net>
Laszlo Vecsey wrote:

> Ooops, I spoke too soon. Here is the answer for those wondering:
>
>         http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/traces.html
>
> Now does anyone know if something like this will be included in future
> versions of povray?

This is a good question.  http://www.twysted.net/PatchStation/ is
full of quite useful patches -- angle-dependent reflection,
spherical sweeps, slope-dependent textures, blurred reflections,
bounding boxes, text justification, isofunction objects, uv mapping....

Clearly, though, the POV team takes a conservative approach in
including these things in the core code.  And with good reason --
it's very easy to whip together a patch and test it on a few
simple cases.  But new features must be supported, which adds
substantially to the burden.

So I wouldn't get too hopeful.  I just wish, though, they would
back off on the povlegal.doc to allow the innovation which
so enriched the selection of 3.0 options to continue with
3.1 .  The current document basically makes all patches
impractical to implement legally.  All that remains is the
independent development of GUI extensions.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/