POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wave Forms and Normal/Pigment Patterns ? : Re: Wave Forms and Normal/Pigment Patterns ? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wave Forms and Normal/Pigment Patterns ?
From: Ken
Date: 10 Sep 1998 15:07:55
Message: <35F814F7.F36772CD@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Or you can just make something like this:
>
> normal { waves 1 translate x*10000 }
>
>   I use this every time I want straight waves.
>
> --
>                                                            - Warp. -

  I've used that method though I will admit I never
tried 10000*x before. It does help flatten out the
curves since they are only view able in a certain
area of the scene.

It was the whole section in the docs that I missed
describing the use of wave types. My brain leaked
or something.

    Anyway I have come to the conclusion that
surface normals are a poor replacement for a
physical object that has the right shape.
    I've decided that rather than trying to imitate
water and wavy surfaces, with planes and surface
normals, I'm going to be a rebel and figure out a
procedural, modeled, methodology for creating
these surfaces that elude me.

Thanks for the tips people.

Ken