POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dumb, Stupid, Ignorant geometry question. : Re: Dumb, Stupid, Ignorant geometry question. Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb, Stupid, Ignorant geometry question.
From: JK
Date: 3 Sep 1998 14:41:48
Message: <35EED3B2.C58483A4@hotmail.com>
Duane Tackett wrote:

>     Now that I have your attention (with the subject line) I have forgotten
> how to do something seemingly very basic:  I nee to translate a line segment
> into x,y coordinates.  What I need is a 5 sided regular polygon (pentagon in
> english) and I have forgotten the equation to convert this to x,y points.
>     For instance, I want to have a 5 sided object with sides that are 2
> units in length. I have figured out that the degree of the angle between
> each side is 72 (360 degrees divided by 5 sides) but I can't remember the
> equation to translate this.  I don't want the points, I want an explanation
> so I'll have one less silly question to ask.  Let me know if you can help.
>
> --
> Duane

  I personally think it would be much easier if you declare a first point (not
on x=0 or z=0) and then rotate it 72 degrees around the y-axis (for a flat
topped polygon) four times. If you really need the sides to be 2 use this
mathformula:
(s = side r = radius)
s = 2*tan(72/2)*r
that is: r = s/(2*tan(72/2)
That's all.

Good luck.
I hope this _short_ version of math stuff helps.

JK
--
http://surf.to/jkhome