POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dumb, Stupid, Ignorant geometry question. : Re: Dumb, Stupid, Ignorant geometry question. Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb, Stupid, Ignorant geometry question.
From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 2 Sep 1998 11:50:45
Message: <35ED5B8A.A6B5664E@Ragingbull.com>
Let's see.  First off it's 72 degrees for the external angle, the
internal is obtuse, 108 degrees.  BUT, that's besides the point.  The
math you want is in the loop below...

#declare Side = 1;
#declare Angle = 0;
#declare Length = 2;
#declare X = 0
#declare Y = 0
#while (Side <= 5)
       cylinder {
                <X, Y, 0>
                <X + Length * cos(Angle), Y + Length * sin(Angle), 0>,
0.1
                pigment {color rgb <1,0,0>}
       }
       #declare Side = Side + 1;
       #declare X = X + Length * cos(Angle);
       #declare Y = Y + Length * sin(Angle);
       #declare Angle = Angle + 72 * 3.14159/180;
#end

though I can't help but think there must be an easier way to do this by
simply using the rotation command from POVRay, here we basically cut out
that middle man (do this with small enough objects and enough iterations
(correcting the angle of course) and you'll get a circle...

Steve