POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : normal average bug (?) in beta6 : Re: normal average bug (?) in beta6 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normal average bug (?) in beta6
From: PoD
Date: 1 Sep 1998 15:51:12
Message: <35EC421A.5DAD@merlin.net.au>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
> : Under some circumstances, the normal average pattern turns inside-out
> : (inverts). I haven't yet been able to specify *exactly* under what
> : circumstances so I won't speculate. There was a thread (April 24, 1998)
> : about this bug appearing in 3.02. If you know it is *not* a bug and I am
> : doing something wrong please inform me. If anyone's interested I'll post
> : source in binaries.scene-files and/or pic in binaries/images.
>
>   Yes, there seems to be something wrong with normals into average
> statements. Apparently it has not been fixed in pov3.1. Maybe povteam:
>   a) doesn't know about this bug
>   b) doesn't have the time to search and fix it
>   c) doesn't care (after all, the bug happens really rarely)
>
>   I think that b) _and_ c) are correct... :)
>
> --
>                                                            - Warp. -

What I've observed (but not understood) is if the normal is rotated 180
degrees, the normal inverts, if rotated 90 degrees, it seems to almost
disappear.  I've looked at the 3.02 source but I'm afraid I was out of
my depth with this one, anyone else willing to have a go at it ? ;-)

As far as the bug happening rarely, perhaps that's because it makes
averaging normals harder than it should be, I'd be using it if it worked
properly.  You can do it as long as you can transform the normals before
averaging them, but once the texture is complete and attached to an
object problems occur.

Sorry for the incoherent rambling but it's the wee hours of the morning
here :)
Cheers, PoD.