POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Advice on large scenes ? : Re: Advice on large scenes ? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice on large scenes ?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 30 Aug 1998 17:46:00
Message: <35E9BA40.D01A27D3@erols.com>
Lothar Esser wrote:

>   I wonder if someone can give me some advice as to how to optimize
> povray to render very large scenes. My scene contains about 250000
> frame level objects and povray allocates about 800 MB.

If you are declaring any objects as unions of stuff, and then making
lots of copies of that object, consider declaring them as meshes of
triangles.  It takes a little more work, but the memory pay-offs are
enormous.

Note:  This only works if you do nothing more to each copy than
transform and or retexture it.

Of coruse, with 250,000 objects, this may not make much difference...

--
"What can I say?  Everyone likes flowers, even us evildoers." -- Zorak