POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help! Can anyone figure this math? : Re: Help! Can anyone figure this math? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help! Can anyone figure this math?
From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 29 Aug 1998 17:10:32
Message: <35E85E76.CC135024@Ragingbull.com>
A ellipse has the formula (in two dimensions) x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = c^2
where the major axis is a or b depending on which is larger.  In an
ellipse, any ray drawn from a foci and bounced off a wall will terminate
in the other foci.  There are actually two foci instead of one radius.
Anyhow...question for you... where is the center of the torus you use in
relation to the boxes?  I ask this, because from the image, I think
rotation of the cylinder is required.  However if you send me some
source I could be more helpful... (feel free to email it to me)

Steve