POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help! Can anyone figure this math? : Re: Help! Can anyone figure this math? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help! Can anyone figure this math?
From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 28 Aug 1998 18:41:46
Message: <35E7243F.B7CDFF19@Ragingbull.com>
You are working too hard.  The scaled cylinder is not an ellipse. It is
merely a cylinder with a scaled axis.  There are several differences,
not the least of being the definition.  A cylinder is defined easily by
x = rcos(theta) and y = rsin(theta) (or vis versa) So try working with
x = rcos(theta)
y = Rsin(thete)

so the x position 30 degrees around the cylinder would be r*sqrt(3)/2
and the y position would be R*0.5 if you move the cylinder, simply add
the displacement to the values above.