POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Broken "difference"? : Re: Broken "difference"? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Broken "difference"?
From: K  Tyler
Date: 28 Aug 1998 17:49:11
Message: <35E70955.C4364D9@pacbell.net>
NerveGas wrote:

> I'm trying to take the difference of two objects in Povray 3.02 for
> win32, and it just seems broken.
>
>   Here's a simple example:
>
> -------------
> difference{
>  box{<-5.5,2.5,Thickness>,<-3.0,-4,0> pigment {color Silver} rotate 30*-z }
>  box{<-4.5,1.5,Thickness>,<0,-1.5,0>  pigment {color Silver}}}
> ------------------
>   Union and merge both work as documented, but when I try a difference,
> I will get the entirety of one object, and nothing of the other, even
> though they do intersect.  Is it borken, or is there something that I
> just don't understand?
>
> steve

It took me a couple of minutes to notice it but I think
I see your problem. The first box is not built at xyz*0.
Then a rotation has been applied to it. It's no longer where
you expect it to be and the 2 boxes are not touching.

I haven't tested this theory and I may be full of ____
but it seems plausible.

K.Tyler