POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Height Fields : Re: Height Fields Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Fields
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 25 Aug 1998 20:34:34
Message: <35E34A0E.482BB435@flash.net>
Steven Jones wrote:

> I'm trying to make an animation of a landscape with the camera flying
> around some mountains.  How can I calculate the height of each part of
> the height field so I don't fly the camera into a mountain?

There are several approaches:

1. Use a code such as Leveller (free), Vue d'Esprit (free demo),
   or some other package which allows one to move a camera around a height
   field.  Leveller is especially good at this.  Then record the coordinates
   for use in your animation (Leveller is designed to be used w/ POV).
   Vue d'Esprit can do POV export in its registered version.... I'm not
   sure it handles tga16, however (version 1 did not, but 2.02 is
   massively expanded).

2. Use a tga16-compatible package like hf-lab or by John Beale to sample
   points in the height field.  If you use my #system() patch this can
   be done from within POV, otherwise record the coordinates by hand
   or script.

3. Use tmpov, which has a height field patch with a height field sampling
   function which allows you to sample height field values.  For now it's
   only 3.02, however.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/