POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov? : Re: how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov?
From: Daren Scot Wilson
Date: 25 Aug 1998 20:42:48
Message: <35E3142F.2432C419@pipeline.com>
Color dispersion is old stuff to me - I altered POVRay's source code to
do dispersion and described my results on the web page.  If you're a
programmer, or want to see samples,

http://www.newcolor/darenw/dswpov/dswpov.html

I will be rewriting my web pages soon, so if this is gone just go to
www.newcolor.com and click your way from there.

Not only do I describe what I did to do dispersion, but I describe a bad
way of doing dispersion - like what others have been suggesting to try.

Dispersion was actually fairly easy to implement, except for three
things:

1) converting RGB to a 9-component color was easy, but I had to convert
back to RGB for display on the screen.  My way wasn't based on known
color science, but chosen for artistic reasons, as I had a project to
finish.  This took a lot of trial and error.

2) The RGB Colour data structure is used in a zillion places, and it
took several days to update all the source files.  But it's just grunt
work.

3) To prevent catastrophic slowdown of execution time I had to create
what I call the "k-only" mechanism.   Bottom line:  raytracing with
dispersion is maybe 1 to 10% slower than normal.  Heck, I use the
dispersion version just to trace ordinary scenes all the time.

I do not have an executable to pass out - I can't support all the
operating systems, etc.   But I could e-mail a source code tarball if
you like.    If you're not a programmer though, you'll have to ask some
of the other regulars in this newsgroup if they've incorporated my
changes in their versions. I don't know of any, but then, I live under a
rock <g>.

Someday, someday... I'll have a custom POV-Ray that I can offer, or at
least a decent patch file....

--

Daren Scot Wilson
Member, ACM