POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stacking Balls : Re: Stacking Balls Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking Balls
From: K  Tyler
Date: 24 Aug 1998 13:32:30
Message: <35E1873B.C085A853@pacbell.net>
Friedemann Schmidt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's a big big problem with more spheres than 2. I wanted to
> fill a transparent cylinder with lot of spheres randomly in POV-Ray -
> but I gave up... ;-)
>
> I think, one have to simulate each sphere falling from the sky on top
> of the other spheres, which have to do a lot with physics. So it
> probably can't be done with the script language of POV-Ray.
>
> Bye,
> Friedemann
>
> Friedemann Schmidt
> Fri### [at] Stonescom
> Raytracing-Gallery: http://www.rz.fhtw-berlin.de/~s0049669/

  I once asked if anybody had developed a routine for object collision
avoidance which I believe is what you will need to fill a cylinder or
any other shape without them overlapping. Dan Connely replied that
he had seen one recently but I can't remember where the posted reply
is located at. Dan if your out there could you fill in the blanks.

K.Tyler