POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stacking Balls : Re: Stacking Balls Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking Balls
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 24 Aug 1998 12:08:36
Message: <35E1558E.C0918AC9@xs4all.nl>
Friedemann Schmidt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's a big big problem with more spheres than 2. I wanted to
> fill a transparent cylinder with lot of spheres randomly in POV-Ray -
> but I gave up... ;-)
>
> I think, one have to simulate each sphere falling from the sky on top
> of the other spheres, which have to do a lot with physics. So it
> probably can't be done with the script language of POV-Ray.
>
> Bye,
> Friedemann
>
> Friedemann Schmidt
> Fri### [at] Stonescom
> Raytracing-Gallery: http://www.rz.fhtw-berlin.de/~s0049669/

If you have two spheres, and add a third touching the other two, you

with balls, simply by translating and rotating.
If you want to stack the balls, add a fourth to the first tree, just
touching. Again, this ball is merely translated and rotated. It
shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Obviously some bright minds (like
K. Tyler) have already figured it out, even with spheres of different
sizes.

Regards,

Remco de Korte
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/