POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical Height fields? : Elebvation Maps (Was: Re: Spherical Height fields?) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Elebvation Maps (Was: Re: Spherical Height fields?)
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 22 Aug 1998 22:40:56
Message: <35DF8176.2F36CEED@istar.ca>
Bret Slivka wrote:

> Hello group.
>
> I'm working on a 3d model of the planet Earth. I am trying to figure out
> how to take this elevation map, turn it into a heightfield and somehow
> "wrap" this heightfield around a sphere. but i'm a little stumped, so I
> thought I'd tap into the vast knowledge of this collective for guidance.
> I humbly ask for your opinion on this matter.

Say.. I see this kind of stuff all the time...

Where CAN you get nice elevation maps, that are firendly for POV to use?
There are tons of random map generators, and nice custom map generators like
leveller, but I want the real thing! Most maps like this are in some format
ugly for POV to use.. Any ideas?

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet