POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov win/dos speed comparison ? : Re: Pov win/dos speed comparison ? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov win/dos speed comparison ?
From: Mark King
Date: 22 Aug 1998 07:36:10
Message: <35DE9F14.F4AF9DD@csi.com>
The DOS version is faster, but you might want to consider a recomplied
version that is available called Povpro. To quote the compiler...

"POVPro is a Win32 console port of generic UNIX version of POV-Ray --
it's not a "stripped" Windows version.

  The name POVPro is given to this version to somehow distinguish it
from other existing versions, like POVWin. It has nothing to do with
"professional" or "Pentium Pro". It simply illustrates the fact that it
is made with Intel Reference C Compiler a.k.a Proton. Yet another
Intel's tool used is VTune 2.1 profiler."

It renders between 5% and 50% faster depending on the image. I find it
useful for final renders. It even has a couple of additional features
that the DOS version doesn't.

Unfortunately I can't remember where I got it. If you can't track it
down I could send you the zip file. It's a  371K file.

Mark King