POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov? : Re: how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov?
From: Chris Maryan
Date: 19 Aug 1998 02:19:21
Message: <35DA5E0C.B5F1EF25@geocities.com>

<some stuff if snipped, and then he said>
> IF it could) be accomplished

I played around with rendering three times with different IORs and then
compositing the resulting images and have come to the conclusion that
most of the time this does not work, although occasionally a good effect
can be achieved. In most of my attempts, a slight change in the IOR (I
played with +- 0.05 and 0.02, from a base IOR of 2.7) made a large
difference in how large surfaces reflected internally (i.e. the larger
facets on a diamond), that is after compositing (I replaced the R, G and
B channels with the corresponding channels from the images with the
appropriate IOR) whole facets would be brightly tinted with either R,G
or B. On large facets the effect was unacceptable because there was no
blending between colours and the effect did not look realistic.
HOWEVER, I accidentally rendered my diamond with the equivalent of very
small facets, I used smoothed triangles for the facets instead of
unsmoothed accidentally, this resulted in very fine lines of rainbow
colours that looked very realistic.

So there is my contribution to this disscussion.
--
Chris Maryan
mailto:cma### [at] geocitiescom