POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov? : Re: how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:33:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how (if at all) can i change the wavelength of light in pov?
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 18 Aug 1998 19:43:47
Message: <35DA03A5.F3ACAC5@flash.net>
As is mentioned in
http://math1.uibk.ac.at/%28de%29/~werner/light/spectrum/

even 6 colors is inadequate.

Consider a vertical slit white light souce (we are neglecting
the wave nature of light, of course) which enters a prism.

What comes out isn't 3 slits of light, one red, one green,
and one blue, but a rectangular band of light encompassing
the entire spectrum.

To properly model prisms, one must either use a large number
of color samples (whose rgb components sum to 1) or to apply
some sort of spatial broadening algorithm based on
d ior / d k_light to each of the r, g, and b beams.

Dan

K. Tyler cited:

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/